<span class="highlight">Best</span> Photo <span class="highlight">time</span> for the Flinders Ranges

Submitted: Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 08:25
ThreadID: 37471 Views:2340 Replies:7 FollowUps:6
This Thread has been Archived
Hi to all the buddying Photographers out there.

When do you think is the best time to photograph the Flinders during the year?

thanks for your help.

wanderstu
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Notso - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 08:37

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 08:37
The very best times are starting from the 1st Jan and it goes through to the 31st december.

Seriously though it is a spectacular place and it photogenic all year round. Special times of the day are sunrise and sunset.
AnswerID: 193081

Reply By: Troop-a-dour - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:04

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:04
For photography anywhere I reckon winter time. The sunrises are not too early (to get out of the swag) and the sunsets are not too late. Also, the air 'seems' cleaner during winter- especially in the afternoon.
AnswerID: 193086

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:20

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:20
The sun is at a longer angle too in the winter, so there is something to be said for winter light - luckily the Flinders doesn't have too much cloud.
FollowupID: 450908

Reply By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:28

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:28
Hi Stuw,

I have photography tours going to the Flinders all year round and are never disappointed.

During the summer you get more daylight, although it can get a little harsh in the middle of the day.

The flowers in the Flinders can be great - but you really can't tell when that will be - it is not as predictable as WA, for instance, and fields of Salvation Jane are one of the big things. As you go further North - particularly the more sandy areas, you also get Sturt Desert Pea and hops, but there is no way of predicting this in my experience - you just get surprised by it.

It also depends on what you want to photograph.

There are lot of old ruins; there are a lot of kangaroos, emus and lizards/snakes; there's interesting rock formations and mountain ranges, there's wonderful trees - mostly gums, and black-boys; there are even waterfalls (although rarely) - so long as you are adventurous and prepared to walk/climb.

We're in September - here's what it was like in September last year - Tour Gallery

I was up there two weeks ago and it was a little -maybe a lot drier than last year, but still wonderful.

Enjoy,
Andrew.
AnswerID: 193092

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:11

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:11
Andrew - thanks for sharing your tips here.

Based on the photo of the girl wearing the white top, it's time to clean the dust off your sensor :-)
FollowupID: 450945

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:21

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:21
Thanks Mike,

It is always time to clean the dust off ... that is a weekly event.

At least Canon has just released a low end camera with anti-dust features ... hopefully the higher end ones will follow.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 450948

Reply By: Des Lexic - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:50

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 09:50
You have some beautiful shots there Andrew
AnswerID: 193097

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:03

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:03
Thanks Des,

well, mostly it is about getting people out of bed early enough, or having dinner late enough to enjoy and capture what nature offers up.

The light is the most important thing - it really doesn't matter too much where you are.

Some of those shots were with the rare privilege of a storm to add some real punch.

Ciao for now
Andrew.
FollowupID: 450940

Follow Up By: Member - Mike DID - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:08

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:08
Some Landscape photographers only bothering taking photos within two hours of sunrise or sunset.
FollowupID: 450942

Follow Up By: Member - Andrew W (SA) - Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:13

Wednesday, Sep 06, 2006 at 12:13
Some landscape photographers try to be cute and use hyperbole. They like to believe they have some right to their own secrets.

This landscape photographer spends most of his life imparting those secrets, including what makes for good light - weather, clouds, and atmospheric conditions of various kinds can mix things up a lot, and whilst perhaps only presenting opportunities to the opportunistic and the prepared, sometimes these can be the most startling and amazing - even in the middle of the day.

If you ain't out there you won't catch it ;-)

Thanks Mike,
Andrew.
FollowupID: 450946

Reply By: Barnesy - Thursday, Sep 07, 2006 at 16:18

Thursday, Sep 07, 2006 at 16:18
The quartzite ridge that runs the length of the Flinders from Wilmington to Arkaroola has a large percentege of silicone (was once sea sand). Silicone is not totally opaque and light can enter it. This makes the other minerals in the rock stand out and change constantly with varying angles of the sun light.

My advice would be to pick a good spot you're happy with, set up the camera on a tripod and photo the same spot during different stages of the day to highlight the changing colour within the rocks.

Not such a bad way to spend a day either.

Barnesy
AnswerID: 193305

Reply By: Stuw - Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 09:32

Friday, Sep 08, 2006 at 09:32
Hi All
Thanks for your replies, most appreciated.

Yes, Jan to Dec would be the best time, but since I don't live nearby, it isn't really a possibility.

I wasn't sure if there is a big display of wild flowers such as WA is known for and I wasn't sure if certain colours come out at certain times of the year. ie The icons of Central Australia vary in colour at sunset yes, but they vary at different times of the year aswell.

The sky in Sydney varies its colour, a nice clear windy day in Winter is great as it blows out the pollution, otherwise there tends to be a bit of a brown haze on the horizon.

May / June always has nice light around the 22nd June... shortest day, soft and golden, very flattering.

I spent 13 months driving Highway 1 (western loop SA, WA and NT) in 2004/05, West Coast is great at Sunset, although the Fremantle Dr seems to cover the whole of the west coast and is not just a breeze, but a gale most afternoons! I learnt sun shelters are called wind breaks that stop people from getting sand blasted!

One place I didn't get to visit was the Flinders Ranges. So sometime over the next few years I would like to go there and take some photos.

What do I like to photograph? Anything and everything! I am a shutter bug... style, everything aswell... whether it be colour or B&W, scenic landscape or arty or getting up close and personal with wildlife animal, mineral or plant.

The Flinders
The ruins sound great, so does the quartz, not to mention the exposed rock formations and ranges. I saw an aerial photo many years ago of the pound, which looked fantastic, it must have been early morning with a small amount of mist inside it.

Work calls... gotta go!
Thanks again people.
AnswerID: 193440

Reply By: Member - Lance S (VIC) - Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 17:54

Monday, Sep 11, 2006 at 17:54
http://www.exploroz.com/Utilities/showImage.asp?i=%2FUploads%2FMembers%2FRig%5F61361%2E875%5F1%2Ejpg&w=100 All year round, but i prefer september-october cheers Lance
Home Away from Home

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  Send Message

AnswerID: 194001

Sponsored Links